Sunday, March 22, 2009

Gathering informatinon from other courses

i thought i should glimpse at my notes from a class i took in my previous semesters here at concordia. the class was sociology of cyberspace and i had a really sweet down to earth prof. some of the stuff that is usefull for my paper on online social networking is the following

  • the sublime--which is when your overwhelmed at what your witnessing. i can use this in my paper to describe my reactions to viewing profiles of users on MySpace
  • aspects that demonize cyberspace, first; people no longer knowing how to ineract with one another face to face. secondly; how everything travels at such a fast speed and lastly how one looses control over one' image
  • private places, in regards to children with all the technology, there places of comfort/privacy has now changed. For example, MySpace has come to be that place where kids feel like they can express themselves etc.
  • surveillance and the power of technology. this fitts in well with one of my examples in my paper about how a debate coach nearly lost his job because a student created a profile on Facebook for the debate coach and then would send inappropriate things to other students. This students actions nearly made him loose his job.
  • the demographic online is evolving.....anyone is welcome . Not only are teenagers into Facebook, their parents may have a profile as well

1 comment:

  1. I forgot about the sublime till I saw this post, thanks for the reminder =D

    ReplyDelete